Our Family

Our Family

Monday, May 10, 2010

Thoughts from a child....amazing....

Well, you know sometimes the funniest things come out of the mouths of our children, but they can be so simple, yet so complex. Take for example Brady...he and Connor are watching cartoons. Connor tosses a toy into the air. It hits Brady on the left side of his forehead. Brady comes running to me holding his head, and Connor is trying to drag him to the floor so he won't tattle on him...anyways, you get the picture. I tell Connor to let Brady go and let him explain what happened and then Connor would have his turn.
Brady is not crying, but he sure is mad. He looks at me straight in the eye (which doesn't happen very often), and proceeds to tell me that Connor knocked him in the head with a toy and it hit the smart side of his head!!!! Connor is standing there dumbfounded. Brady then looks at both of us because I want to see where this is going and he tells me that he could have at least hit him on the side of his head where he has all his dumb thoughts to begin with :) Connor cracked up, I started laughing and then Brady was fine. What could have turned into a full out explosion, resolved itself very nicely.
Brady came up to me later and he said, "Ya know Mom, I do have a smart side in my head...the other side is where the dumb stuff happens"...so I told him just to make sure he kept using the smart side of his head more and let Jesus deal with the dumb stuff.
That is so simple, but so true. I guess we all have a smart side and a dumb side. Whether it's in what we know, how we treat other people, or our timing in approaching a certain topic. Some people may call it plain common sense, but when Brady shared his story, I could just picture a little angel sitting on the shoulder where he has the "smart" side in his head and the devil sitting on the other shoulder that's the "dumb" side. I guess we could all learn to use our "smarts" better by listening to that little angel on our shoulder. God sent us the Holy Spirit to convict us of right and wrong. We need to listen to that "still, small, voice" that helps keep our path straight.
“Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing” (John 15:4,5).

No comments:

Post a Comment