Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Different Life...

This was in an email I received and thought it was so amazing to read and really take a good look at myself...

"Your spiritual atmosphere is quite different than it was eight months ago. Rejoice in the new life and new opportunities that challenge you to spiritual maturity. The temptation now will be to go back to an old place of easy, lazy comfort.

See beyond the mundane and ordinary routine of every day existence to see the exceptional work that I am performing. You are a catalyst in a rich and dynamic move of My Spirit. Look beyond the natural to realize your potential.

You have been in a period of transition, which is not over yet. It has been and will continue to be very unsettling for a while, but your best use of this time is to grow up spiritually, exercise your faith, and trust that I will bring you through. Then, your feeling of impotence will give way to My power and dominion".

1 Peter 5:10 But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.

It was so interesting to read that and look back at the last 8 months. So much has happened in that amount of time, but it has been during that time that I've has some of my biggest battles....lost some, won some, but grew more either way. Eight months ago was October 2009. That was when Brady was getting sick all the time. I started a new part-time job, hoping that would allow for extra doctor visits, planning, and organization. That just didn't happen. I really liked that job. I knew what to expect pretty much every day and if I had questions, there were co-workers who really made an effort for me to understand and learn something new, but were also empathetic about the situation with Brady. My full-time job that I had before that was a great job also. I never knew what one day to the next would bring and that was really nice for a while, because it mixed up any monotony and kept me very busy at the office, walking across campus, or thinking about new upcoming conversations we may host. I just could not handle full-time and Brady. The school couldn't either. After school was just way too much for the little guy. He needed rest.
During this time of transition, I had just taken family medical leave to take care of Brady and his behavior problems at school. I worked out a two week notice and changed jobs. Finally in January we started getting answers. We knew he was Autistic. I had heard people talk about putting him on a gluten-free diet, but didn't know exactly how that works. Now I do. I had to learn because he developed Celiac Disease. He developed Tourrettes about the same time.
Recently I quit my job to stay home and take care of my boys. Time management is still an issue I deal with, so it was hard not just stopping at McDonald's for a quick, cheap meal. Now, I know I can't even let him "cheat" sometimes. He has broken out so badly from having pizza and birthday cake that we're about to leave to get a shot at the doctor. Life has thrown a lot of extras in there too...like our AC unit blowing up, my grandfather passing away, my nephew having brain surgery, Toby's grandmother almost dying, but totally making a turn around, Connor having issues with bullies, Brady's behavior, and a few other things that just seemed to pile up. Well, God allowed them to pile up so he could shape me and mold me into a better person. I am looking forward to spending time with my boys this summer and growing closer to the Lord. I think He has the perfect path paved for us, we just have to learn to open our eyes and listen with our ears to what He has to tell us. Some people have said our family could have it's own reality TV show because so much happens all the time...it just reminds me of the song "Life is a Highway", so, I'm gonna ride it all night long...even as I sleep, God is working His plan out for us. I'm breathing my own oxygen :) Taking time for myself, and learning that I am so important to God that I need to take care of myself, so I can better take care of my family. I'm so thankful He's given me this opportunity...I hope I can make Him smile :)

No comments:

Post a Comment