Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Children are a gift from the Lord

"Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from Him". Psalm 127:3

So many times I find myself getting frustrated because situations arise with my children that I cannot fix....there's that me fixin' it problem again. Well, tonight Connor surprised me. He's not much of a breakfast eater at home. He likes to eat at school (I think it's because he gets choices...). Tonight he ask me to get up 10 minutes earlier in the morning so I could cook him some breakfast :) I thought that was sweet. He wants to stick to the gluten free diet, and breakfast choices at school are not that helpful for the diet. I caught myself almost saying, awwww Connor, you can just eat at school...but then I paused and thought how great it is that he realizes I'm at home for him now. I can get up and cook the boy breakfast for goodness sake! Later, I can catch a cat nap if I want too :)

Last night was a special night for us. Toby was watching a scary movie in the bedroom. The boys went in there to tell him goodnight, just as a dog's head was being lobbed off....I didn't even ask...I don't want to know. I just know that it scared the boys so bad and they thought they were going to have nightmares. I sat on their bed with them and told them it's not good to watch scary movies right before bed, so if they came in the bedroom and Dad was watching a scary movie to ask him to please turn it off so they wouldn't have nightmares. Well, that worked for about two seconds....soooooo, I prayed with them our little prayer about angels watching us through the night, etc. I also mentioned at the end of the prayer that I wanted satan to leave my house now!!! Connor looked at me with the most curious blue eyes. He said, "Mom, can you talk to the devil like you can Jesus"? I told him unfortunately yes. I told him that satan was just trying to make him think about scary stuff before he went to sleep to rob him of his sleep. I ask him if he was going to allow the devil to do that to him and he said, no way, not if I can help it!!! He said, what do you have to do? I told him you simply have to yell at satan/devil (whichever term he chose to use at the time)...and tell him to leave your mind and leave your house that you are God's child and you are telling him to leave you alone in the Name of Jesus!!!!
We all slept very well last night. Connor woke up this morning so glad that he didn't have a nightmare and also that he had learned something new to defend himself against that sly old devil...I promise you, he will remember this for a LONG time. Several years ago, I guess he was about 5 or maybe 6 yrs old, he started backtalking me, so I told him that the Bible says to honor your parents and your days will be long on the face of the earth....well....as fate would have it, the counselor at the school had a classroom meeting with Connor's class...these are 4th graders. She was talking to them about bullying, because it was a really rough day. She told them, just like you should respect your parents, you should also respect your classmates....Connor chimes in and adds, "Yeah, if you don't obey your parents, you won't get to live a long time because that's what it says in the Bible." :) My little preacher man...he had the whole class convinced they were going to die before they even got out of elementary school if they didn't straighten up. I think things have been better this week in the class :)
Anyway, when Connor learned that you can tell the devil to leave you, he was just amazed. He yelled at him to get out of his head, out of his bedroom and out of this house...and Brady joined in with him. I sat there a few minutes and Connor totally relaxed, he said, "Whew, that made me tired, but the devil just got up and ran away"... :) It makes me smile to think of that. Sometimes as adults, we tend to get caught up in the middle of situations and forget that the devil is just pulling our strings, making him the puppetteer, and us the puppets...well, got news for ya devil....we are going to "Shut de Door...keep out the devil....light the candle everything is alright"...I believe that candle is Jesus...He's the light of the world. He sheds light on the path we must trod.
They say when you've had a near death experience, that you see a bright light coming at you...well, that bright light is already here...we just have to know where to look for Him to guide us on our way...

No comments:

Post a Comment